10 ways to boost your sales on Black Friday
One of the biggest days in the shopping calendar is fast approaching; Black Friday! Award-winning salon owner and coach Karla McDiarmid shares her top tips on how to run a successful Black Friday campaign, and make it your biggest sales day of the year!
What is Black Friday?
You never know when you’ll be asked about Black Friday at a pub quiz, but don’t worry, we’ve got your back with the facts!
Black Friday takes place this year on Friday the 27th of November; the day after American Thanksgiving. Most people know Black Friday as the day when stores open early and offer huge sales, becoming profitable or “in the black.” In actual fact, the term “Black Friday” was first used on Sept. 24, 1869, when two investors, Jay Gould and Jim Fisk, drove up the price of gold and caused a stock market crash!
We like the way it’s most commonly used today, so we’ll stick with that version. Plus, businesses around the world are successfully turning Black Friday into their biggest sales day of the year, and with some planning and creativity, you can too!
Karla’s top Black Friday tips
Karla is the Founder and Director of multi-award winning Macquarie Medi Spa. With over 20 years experience operating 2 busy salons and managing a team of 21 highly skilled therapists, she’s an expert in all things skin, beauty, and business. In May 2020, she opened the doors to her newest business venture – Secrets to Success by Karla.
- If you have any old stock that you need to sell to make way for new stock, reduce it further to move it off your shelves.
- If you need help with cash flow, a treatment prepay offer works really well, e.g. buy 3 treatments and get 30% off.
- If you don’t need cashflow and you’re all booked up well in advance, don’t discount your treatments!
- Run your Black Friday sale for 48 hours to give customers more time to shop.
- Give your VIPs advance notice so they can shop the sale a day early – they’ll love that! You could also have a little gift – this year I’ve had branded nail files created for our guests.
- Allow phone orders in advance and advertise this on your social media, via email, and SMS campaigns.
- Have your online store set up to sell more than what you actually have in stock, so you can promote your sale to a wider audience.
- If you have someone who creates your images, get started on them now! You’ll need a banner for your Facebook page and squares for your social tiles. You can use the Facebook banner in your customer emails as well!
- Last year I had a whole new website created using Shopify, because I knew we needed to incorporate Afterpay to our online store. If you haven’t got a software platform that allows Afterpay, you need to look into that ASAP – lots of people are using that form of payment now.
- Last but not least – If you haven’t already set up a private Facebook group for your VIP’s, this is a must do! Not just for Black Friday; it’s a great way to build your connections and loyalty. This group is GOLD!
If you’re not yet taking online payments, now is the perfect time to get TimelyPay set up! You’ll open up a world of new earning potential with gift vouchers, deposits and payments for bookings, no-show and cancellation protection, and selling products online. Learn more about the magic of TimelyPay >