Head of Engineering
Auckland, Wellington or Dunedin, New Zealand
Hi folks, Andrew here – CTO and Co-founder at Timely. We’re on the hunt for an experienced Head of Engineering to lead and grow our team of amazing engineers and QA’s. This is an incredibly rare and exciting opportunity to join an established SaaS company with solid foundations – we have a world-class product, great people and a high-trust culture. You’ll grab what we’ve started and take it to a new level.
Timely is the world’s smartest appointment booking software servicing over 50,000 users in the hair, beauty, and wellness industries all over the world. Our beautiful, user-friendly platform allows our customers to deliver exceptional client experiences and effortlessly manage their appointments, clients, sales, staff, stock, reporting and more.
Our customers are our sun and we believe that a seamless and memorable customer experience is the outcome of the experience that our people have within Timely. We live and breathe our values, including ‘Bring your whole self to work’. We celebrate the things that make us individual at Timely and believe that better decisions are made and better products are created when people can be themselves.
We welcome and include people from all backgrounds and strive to make everyone feel like they belong at Timely.
We’re not your average tech company. We operate in a clustered remote model with 100+ people spread across Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland, Melbourne and Greater London. Our people make the most of #timelylife and are able to balance their personal and professional priorities well. We truly look after our people, so at Timely you can expect a fair remuneration and benefits package, including a wellness allowance and professional development fund.
What you’ll do
The Head of Engineering is responsible for supporting Timely’s organisational goals at a product implementation level. They are the backbone of the engineering team, and will oversee and coordinate the people, resources and processes required to ensure a high degree of technical excellence and people management is applied to Timely’s product development needs.
This position requires a leader from a technical background, experience running and growing high-functioning engineering teams, great communication skills and a passion for technology.
A typical day might look like…
- Scaling the engineering team structure including management reporting lines in a high-growth environment.
- Carrying out headcount planning to meet strategic objectives, while identifying any skill gaps that need filling.
- Seeking to implement a scalable and efficient technical hiring process that supports the growth of the team.
- Providing leadership and guidance to coach and motivate team leads and technical leads to their optimum performance levels and career development.
- Developing and communicating a career progression framework (career ladder).
- Identifying and growing new leaders within the team to take on people management or technical leadership duties.
- Working with other tech & product leaders to drive a high degree of autonomy, motivation and execution within Timely’s product teams.
- Seeking to structure Timely’s product teams to meet strategic objectives while maximising individual skillsets.
- Advocating for technical excellence at a senior leadership level, surfacing up constraints around people, processes and architecture.
- Ensuring security, performance and reliability are embedded into the teams culture, and considered at all parts of the SDLC.
- Recognising and celebrating achievement among the team.
- Contributing to product, platform and technical roadmaps.
Does this sound like you?
- Seasoned experience in web businesses and specifically in SaaS business.
- Experience managing and scaling engineering teams from 10 to 50+ engineers.
- Experience scaling multiple product delivery teams.
- A strong leadership ability from both a technical and people perspective, and a leadership approach that is passionate, energetic, personable and humble, and that inspires and motivates all levels of staff.
- An engineering background with around 10 years practical experience. Writing code is not a requirement of this role, but you’ll still be able to jump into the occasional PR, support ticket, etc, to get a feel for how things are going on the front lines.
- A passion for technology and learning about new technology developments & trends.
- An Agile mindset with experience in overseeing and delivering projects using Agile principles such as iterative releases and customer feedback.
- The confidence to push boundaries and challenge yourself and your teams to do more, faster and better.
- Great communication abilities – communicate clearly and frequently with other team members and management.
- High degree of organisation and ability to prioritise workload.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field and/or at least 10 years experience in the Information Technology arena.
What you need to know
- This is a permanent, full time position.
- You’ll work from home and/or in our offices in Auckland, Wellington or Dunedin – as you see fit.
- We provide all the shiny new equipment you’ll need, a health & wellbeing budget as well as a fully-funded professional development fund which you can use for extra training, conferences, workshops, etc.
- You must be legally entitled to work in NZ.
- Applications close when we find the right person!