Wellington, Auckland or Dunedin
Timely is the world’s smartest appointment booking software servicing over 38,000 users in the hair, beauty, and wellness industries all over the world. Our beautiful, user-friendly platform allows our customers to deliver exceptional client experiences and effortlessly manage their appointments, clients, sales, staff, stock, reporting and more.
Our customers are our sun and we believe that a seamless and memorable customer experience is the outcome of the experience that our people have within Timely. We live and breathe our values, including ‘Bring your whole self to work’. We celebrate the things that make us individual at Timely and believe that better decisions are made and better products are created when people can be themselves.
We welcome and include people from all backgrounds and strive to make everyone feel like they belong at Timely.
We’re not your average tech company. We operate in a clustered remote model with 90+ people spread across Dunedin, Wellington, Auckland, Melbourne and Greater London. Our people make the most of #timelylife and are able to balance their personal and professional priorities well. We truly look after our people, so at Timely you can expect a fair remuneration and benefits package, including a wellness allowance and professional development fund.
What you’ll do
We’re a small team responsible for the Timely platform and supporting our Product development teams, and we’ve grown to the point where we now need additional capacity in the data space to continue delivering the levels of performance and innovation our customers (and the wider Timely team) have come to expect.
You’re most likely an experienced database professional (DBA or SQL Developer, etc) with some form of cloud experience. Importantly, you’re passionate about operationally supporting business-critical data platforms, and want to advance in this field. We’re largely a Microsoft shop running on Azure SQL Server, so any relevant experience would be a bonus.
A typical day might look like
- Working with the rest of the Platform and Data teams to ensure our production SQL databases are highly available, performing optimally, and secured as per the applicable industry best practices.
- You’ll work closely with Timely’s agile product development teams to develop database objects and scripts, or at a minimum offer advice and review pull requests.
- Deploying ad-hoc SQL changes for other teams when necessary.
- Identify and follow up on performance issues by flagging concerns with product teams, or optimising code and/or data structures to improve performance.
- Responding to operational issues and eventually joining our on-call roster.
- Working with the internal analytics team and helping them to compose reporting queries against our SQL or Snowflake databases.
- We are looking for someone who’s got a few stories to tell; you’ve been in comparable roles for long enough that you feel up to the challenge of looking after our globally-accessed SQL data platform, working closely with teams of developers/engineers, and can show initiative to solve tricky problems without much hand-holding.
- We rely on SQL Server, so experience here is a must; but we also make use of reporting services, SSIS, Data Factory, Snowflake, Event Hubs, Azure Functions (C#, Python, PowerShell) and PowerBI, so experience with any of these would be a bonus.
- Some knowledge of Azure, AWS, or other cloud platforms is a must.
- Going the extra mile to do things right – no quick and dirty hacks here, just solid processes & code (with a side of pragmatism thrown in for good measure).
- Somebody who will bring their own ideas and suggestions to enhance, improve and generally make our systems more awesome! You feel confident enough to give (and substantiate) your opinion when necessary, to anyone in the company.
- This is a permanent, full time position.
- You’ll work from home and/or in our offices in Auckland, Wellington or Dunedin – as you see fit.
- We provide all the shiny new equipment you’ll need, a health & wellbeing budget as well as a fully-funded professional development fund which you can use for extra training, conferences, workshops, etc.
- You must be legally entitled to work in NZ
- Applications close Friday 30th October