How to use Afterpay to Boost Your Salon Business
Since launching our partnership with Afterpay, we’ve seen some of our customers double their revenue! We want you to have the same insane success with Afterpay too. Here’s some expert advice on making Afterpay a game changer at your salon. Read all about it below, or register your interest here.
Making Afterpay a hit at your business is easy if your staff are clued up and invested
With Afterpay, your clients will be more inclined to spend a bit extra when they visit your salon, as they are able to spread the cost of their appointment over six weeks. This enables your employees to sell more products, gift vouchers and also upsell deluxe services.
Coach your employees about ‘selling’ at your next staff meeting. Here are some expert selling tips from our team!
Focus on what’s in it for the client
- Tell your clients that they can look good, feel better now, and pay later. You can explain that by paying with Afterpay they are spreading the bill over four payments, making spending more manageable, rather than relying on a credit card. Plus, unlike a credit-card, there are no additional fees or interest charged to the client so long as they make each of the four payments. Give your clients the option to live within their means and take control of their budget, while still being able to treat themselves.
- Once you are clear about what Afterpay selling points are most important to your clients, create a brief script for your staff to present the service to their client. The script should explain why the client is better off when they use Afterpay.
- Capture those words or phrases on how you want to present Afterpay at your salon. Try it yourself with your own clients, then write it down and get confident with your script. Then, share the script with your team and practice it in your team meetings so that they can have the same success as you.
- Having this conversation with your client during the consultation of the service is ideal. It will let your employees upsell the service the client originally booked or increase the likelihood of them buying aftercare products.
Close like a boss
Benefits are not the only things that you should talk about, you must learn to close and ask for the sale, we often forget to ask and leave it up to the client.
Here’s an example pitch:
- Mention Afterpay in the first few minutes of greeting them e.g. “Did you know that we have Afterpay now? Have you tried it? (mention the benefits)”.
- Once you have finished the consultation, double check the client’s decision e.g.“Does this work for you?”.
- Then start the close, “Shall we do (service X) & (treatment Y) then? (recap what you decided)”.
- Finalise the close, “Let’s put it on Afterpay shall we! Great, let’s do (X & Y service/treatment)”.
Lead to win
Once you’ve shared the script with your employees, follow up!
Don’t train once and walk away, follow up every month, support them to success, and be their coach. Talk with your team members about how each attempt went, what words they used, when it worked, and when it didn’t. It’s too easy to throw them a tool and not help them use it to win – you win, they win, and the clients win.
Sell Afterpay to your clients
- Get listed in the Afterpay registry. Let potential clients know you offer Afterpay as a payment option. Afterpay will share the registry link with you after you’ve signed up and been approved. Clients will be able to find you in the registry when looking for places they’re able to use Afterpay with.
- Let your clients know before they come for their next appointment. Leverage your email marketing list, Instagram, and Facebook channels. Feel free to repost our content and overwrite it with your own message – for example, on Instagram, regram our Afterpay stories with an overlay. We’ve gotten great feedback from salon customers about this already. Make it interactive – ask them if they’ll be booking in with Afterpay. Feel free to use this quote in your social media posts: “Enjoy Now, pay later. Afterpay is available here!”.
- For your in-store positioning and promotion, make your Afterpay window decal and front counter cards visible (if you haven’t already received these, they’ll arrive soon after being accepted to use Afterpay). Stick the Afterpay sign on your window or mirror, and display the card on the counter so every client sees them.
- At Timely we’ll be adding an Afterpay icon to your online booking process – this will notify clients who book online that you offer Afterpay in store (coming soon!).
- Talk it up and have a conversation with each client, just like we explained above.
We’d love to know how Afterpay is changing the payment game in your salon. Comment below to let us know!!
Yet to get Afterpay in your business?